"European day of Jewish Culture"
The Jewish Culture Week in Palma 2023 will be from September 3 to 26. Cinema, live music, an open day at the synagogue, a cycle of conferences, among other activities, are part of the program of this event.
During the month of September you can enjoy a series of cultural activities, all of them linked to the world and Jewish culture. This cycle of activities is born within the framework of the European Day of Jewish Culture that is celebrated on the first Sunday of September.However, the high interest evolved towards a cycle of activities that grows every year, thanks to the Jewish Community of the Balearic Islands.
- Sunday, September 3: Open doors at the Synagogue of Palma, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 5: Lecture by Miquel Segura at the Corte Library 7:00 p.m.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE CHUETA IN THE XXI CENTURY: A VISION
- Background. Being a chueta in the postwar generation. My personal story.
- 1993: Controversy with the parish priest Mulet: Chueta memory
- The cicel of a new vision.
- Chuetas that we are Jewish: Rabbi Karetlis
- Can a secular chueta become a Jew?
- Thursday, September 7: Laura Miró presents her work “The Admission of Chuetas Students” at the Casa del Libro. The case of doctor Guillem Aguiló y Forteza.The act will consist of a book presentation and a conference on the biography of who was the first Chueta doctor. The circumstances that allow the first descendants of Mallorcan Jewish converts to be titled will also be analysed. Round table on the Chueta question with the participation of Rosa Planas, Miguel Segura and Laura Miró. The bases of the intolerance historically suffered by the minority will be highlighted, the current panorama and future options for this subject will be discussed. 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, September 10: Concert by Jasmina Petrovic, Sephardic music, in the Plaza de San Jerónimo, 7:30 p.m.
- Monday, September 11: Laura Miró lecture at the Ramon Llull Library, author of the book, on the importance of the Balearic Institute as the first training center that allowed access to Chueta students and the professional career of the first Chueta doctor. 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 12: THE JEWISH WORLD AND THE CINEMA Cycle, screening of ‘El Golem’ at the Mar i Terra Municipal Theatre, 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 13: Lecture by Max Benalal, on Anti-Semitism from the perspective of the European Union, the Corte Library 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, September 14: Talk by Rabbi Nisan Ben Abraham on Jewish holidays, in the Synagogue of Palma, 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 19: THE JEWISH WORLD AND THE CINEMA Cycle, screening of ‘Love in its place’ at the Mar i Terra Municipal Theater, 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 26: THE JEWISH WORLD AND THE CINEMA Cycle, screening of ‘Buñuel and the King Solomon’s farmhouse’ at the Mar i Terra Municipal Theater, 8:00 p.m.
📍Sinagoga de Mallorca : Monsenyor palmer 3 – Palma
📍 Teatro Municipal Mar i Terra : Carrer de Sant Magí, 89, 07013 Palma, Illes Balears
📍Biblioteca del Cort : Plaça de Cort, 1, 07001 Palma, Balearic Islands
📍Casa del libro : Avinguda d’Alexandre Rosselló, 34, 07002 Palma, Illes Balears
📍Biblioteca Ramon Llull : Carrer de l’Institut Balear, Plaça del Tub, Illes Balears
Plaça de Sant Jeroni, 07001 Palma, Illes Balears
If you have any questions, you can write us a message, in the following form.